Friday, June 6, 2008

On My Way!

Hi Friends,
I'll be heading to Malawi a week from Sunday: June 15th. I've rebooked a return ticket for Dustin and we both hope to be home in Portland on July 13th with a cuddly little somebody. That's our hope anyway.

Here's the latest adoption update. There's been some difficulty getting a hold of Moses' grandfather. The SWO (I hope you know the acronym now) finally talked to him today and set up an appointment to meet him on Monday morning. Basically, the SWO just needs to hear the grandfather say that he will consent to an adoption. If he does not give consent, then he also has to be willing to take Moses in and care for him. We're pretty sure he doesn't want to do that - given what he told Margaret two months ago. Even so, this has turned into a somewhat lengthy formality. Still, it's better to know the grandfather's feelings right now, up front, before things move forward.

Beyond that, there's not much more to report. Dustin and his brother John have decided to take a mini vacation this weekend to Cape Maclear on Lake Malawi. It's a fun little backpacker's place where you can kayak, snorkel, and watch the fishermen. Margaret is watching Moses while these two brothers take a few days to recharge and get ready for the long week(s) ahead.

I'm very excited about my trip and can't wait to arrive. It's funny, but I say that every trip will be my "last trip," for a while at least. And every time, I end up back there just a few months down the road. I jokingly told Margaret that she only found the baby as a ploy to get to see me sooner! Margaret is family to us. I love spending time with her, chatting with her, learning from her. Those few of you who have met her know (John, Desirée, Liz). She has so much to give and share. Now she is sharing a baby with us.

1 comment:

Loyal and Julie Frisbie-Knudsen said...

I know her too! And her daughter! =) Glad you you are getting to return soon. And glad Dustin is making a trip to Cape Maclear. Which I could join him. Makes me jealous to read and remember Patti and mine's trip full of adventure and hitch-hiking! Love to you all!
julie