Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Moses Moses Everywhere But Not a Cheek to Kiss

Today I received some new Moses photos in the mail. They are a hoot! There's Moses with his shirt off, Moses the elf, rapper Moses in his too tight overalls, thumbs up Moses, and my hand tastes good Moses. There's a Moses for every day of the week.

I look forward to meeting real, tangible, huggable Moses...which I will do exactly one week from today. (I'm writing around midnight.)

Now the news from Lake Wobegone. I mean Malawi. Dustin decided to rent a car, as we'll likely have a number of trips to make to and from the city. I called him this morning, while he was driving, to hear the update on the meeting with the grandfather. Before Dustin could tell me much, I heard a Malawian's voice, as though Dustin were going through one of the many checkpoints along the road. Dustin said he'd have to call me back. About an hour later I learned that Dustin had been pulled over by the police (on his first day on the road). He learned something we have not come across in all our years in Malawi: it is illegal to drive while talking on a cell phone. Yes friends, it's true. Dustin's driver's license was taken away and he was told to report to court the following morning at 7:30 am.

Fortunately Margaret's nephew is also a policeman. He was able to pull some strings and convinced the officer to "settle things out of court." I think you know what that means... Okay, I'll spell it for you. B R I B E .

Dustin told me more about the SWO's meeting with Moses' Malawian grandfather. He said the grandfather "is proving to be uncooperative." The SWO set up another meeting with him for Wednesday morning. So we basically have no news. Dustin said it well. "We're in a holding pattern." We're not sure all of the emotions and reasoning contributing to the grandfather's lack of cooperation. Though I suspect a lot of it is pride and shame. He knew that his grandson was living in terrible conditions (he knew because Margaret told him) and he made no move to try to help him. In fact, he said and I quote, "Just take the child." He conveyed to the SWO that he was upset that the Balaka police did not try to get a hold of him about the child. (The grandfather is a policeman in Blantyre.) It seems like his reputation may be on the line a bit. He certainly did not make any move to care for the child once Margaret informed him of the baby's poor health and temporary abandonment.

Though this may all sound a bit doom and gloom, Dustin and I don't see it that way. We are both impressed with the way the SWO is advocating on the behalf of Moses, as well as ourselves. Even his language about the grandfather being "uncooperative" is telling about how he sees the situation. He wants Moses to be well cared for. If the grandfather is willing to give that care, the SWO will surely know on Wed. If not, then he seems like he's ready to go to bat for us.

Also, this just in: The police officer who pulled Dustin over has dropped the issue. Dustin and John are instead going to take him to our favorite little joint, Mlambe Motel, for a few drinks and a round of pool. This is Malawi.

No comments: