Friday, August 1, 2008

Drumroll please

Here it is. The moment we've been waiting for... We have a court date for this coming Thursday. But don't crash the cymbals just yet. In Malawi, nothing is as it seems. Nothing is as you expect. We're very excited about this new development but we're simultaneously biting our lips and clenching our teeth. Is it legit? First of all, is there really a court date, or is our lawyer just telling us what we want to hear? Secondly, will our lawyer have all the necessary documents to take to court? Thirdly, will all of the necessary players show up at the court, and will they be truthful? And lastly, will the judge rule in our favor? Sorry to get your hopes up and bring them back to earth all in the same paragraph. Very unfair of me.

Honestly, we're incredibly excited. The possibility of Dustin and Moses coming home in just a few weeks is utterly blissful. While I hold this dream, I can't let my guard down until the very end. Not until Dustin and Moses have cleared customs and immigration in Denver (of all places). And most likely, not until they are both in my arms outside United's terminal at PDX. Not until Moses looks at me with those wide dark eyes, raises his double-decker eyebrows and silently says, "Oh, this is where you've been. I've been wondering why you were fired from the orphanage. You seemed to be doing such a good job." You see, Moses doesn't know us as a mother and father. He's never known either. Dustin and I are simply workers at Nyumba ya Chimwemwe (House of Joy). We get peed on and pooped on and make babies eat their porridge. "That's what mothers are," Margaret said. A thing to get peed on. Hopefully he'll come to know us as something more (even if he does revert as a teenager).

Okay, enough rambling. Thursday we have a court date. My hope and prayer is that this will be moved up to Monday or Tuesday. Please don't give up on this possibility (this may be hard for you, as I bashed Thursday's probability) and continue to pray that we go to court early next week. I believe it can all happen. I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky.

If that's not motivational, then I don't know what is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Cara. Will be keeping you, Dustin, and baby Moses in our prayers. And will also be praying for lawyers across all cultures for moral virtue.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cara,
Your mom has been keeping me updated on the progress of Baby Moses. I just went on the blog. He is beautiful. I am praying for you, Moses and Dustin. God's speed for your boys to return to you as soon as is heavenly possible. Love, Susie