Monday, July 21, 2008

Not much news

I'm back in Portland safe and sound. Actually, I've been home for a week and have just neglected this blog. I jumped back into work only a day after arriving home, so I've been tired to say the least.

While I was traveling (and for the first few days after arriving home) I was concerned that Moses may have sustained permanent brain damage due to how severely dehydrated he was. He basically shriveled up like a little raisin and I was convinced he was dying in my arms on our way to the hospital. That may not have been far from the truth. Fortunately, we'll never have to know.

After five days in the hospital he was released back to the orphanage. His body was so weak he could no longer sit up or move his arms around. His eyes lacked life and he was completely listless. Dustin wondered if Moses' high fevers had killed off too many brain cells. Dustin never worries about things like this, so I started worrying about Dustin's worry. All we could do was wait and see if Moses improved. It's taken a week since he was released from the hospital, but Moses has regained his curiosity and personality. He's now smiling again and even laughing. Dustin seems quite proud of the laughs he can now induce in Moses. I think we were being too gentle with him before. Malawians are pretty rough with their babies - which the babies apparently like. I can't wait to hear the raucous laughter.

Meanwhile, it seems that things are moving along in the legal department. Dustin should be talking to the lawyer on the phone today. He plans to go to the city on Tuesday to sign some legal papers for the court. The lawyer thinks he has all of the documents necessary for going to court. As far as the SWO's report goes, we're still in the dark. We haven't spoken to either the local or head SWO in weeks. We're just putting our faith in the lawyer that he can help our case with the Social Welfare or without. Apparently it's a bit difficult to get a court date quickly, as our case has to be seen at the High Court. Even so, we're hopeful that it can all work out smoothly and in time for Dustin and Moses to return in mid-August.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cara,
I'm glad to hear that things are moving along with the legal process and Moses is getting much better. God continues to answer prayers throughout this difficult process.

Unknown said...

Cara,

I admit I'm a little confused as to the title of this post. Was it meant to be a headfake of some kind? Prepare us for a letdown and then surprise us with good news? I won't dwell on it. Suffice it to say there was plenty of news in that post and most of it great. I'm so glad Moses is responding to Dustin, that he is gaining strength. This new lawyer sounds great, too. It seems like things are moving along. Thanks for the update.