Friday, September 12, 2008

No, it hasn't happened yet

The adoption is still not final my friends. Dustin went to the court along with the whole gang, including Moses. They met in the judge's private chambers. Moses was very rambunctious, filling the very stoic room with interesting sounds, and would only be held by Dustin. The judge wrote a bunch of things down as the lawyer spoke. Dustin never once said a thing. The judge seemed favorable toward the adoption but said he couldn't make a ruling because, apparently, there is still no Social Welfare report! This makes me so angry I can barely even write. That report that was started back in June - the report that would only take 10 minutes to type up - is still not finished three months later? We were under the impression that it was done (in some form), that it was in our lawyer's possession. It was not.

The good news: it seems likely that the adoption could go off without a hitch once that report is received at the court. Note I say, "seems." The bad news: the Social Welfare Officer has no incentive to finish his report in a timely manner. It's been three months already! Our lawyer is on his way to the Social Welfare office to request they finish the report by next Monday or Tuesday, so we can return to court mid to late next week. The problem rests equally with our lawyer, as he didn't try very hard to make sure this document was present - as our nun friend urged him to do.

I can't imagine having to go through one more night like this one. And yet, that's the way it's going to be folks. If anyone ever tries to tell me adoption is the "easy way" to have children, I will lose it. And probably poke someone's eye out!

We likely won't have any more news until next Tuesday or Wednesday.

7 comments:

johnsr said...

Cara,

I can only imagine the anger and frustration you and Dustin are feeling. And I hate to imagine Moses going back once again to the orphanage rather than home with his daddy.

Kaye and I are extremely disappointed, but as you say, there is still hope. This has been a difficult and long journey for you.

Know we love you and continue to pray for you and your family.

John (Grampa)

Grace said...

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Grace said...

That last one was Matt, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the news, how frustrating!!!

I'm Tamara's friend and had the privilege to meet Moses with Dustin when I was in Malawi a week ago. I've been checking your blog with baited breath for news and hopes for it all to be resolved and for Dustin to be on his way back home to you. What happened is so crazy, I wonder if someone is waiting for a bribe?

Be strong and hang in there, Moses is closer and closer to home.

Cristina

Anonymous said...

My dear Cara,
Please know that you, Dustin and sweet Moses are in my prayers constantly. I agree, this is a horribly "long labor" to live through. But once Moses is in your arms it will be worth it. Keeping the faith with you. Love, Susie

Unknown said...

You must have the angels of perseverance surrounding you.

Blessings

Ron Hays

Hilary Marquis said...

Cara & Dusty,

I haven't heard from the Pattison clan since they left Lincoln years ago. A friend pointed me to your blog and I'm so excited to see what God is doing in your lives! We adopted our daughter from Kyrgyzstsan last summer and I understand the frustrations of international adoption. But, I can promise you that God is faithful! His timing is perfect (even when it is hard and we don't understand it :) This is one of the most amazing journeys you'll take, and it will be worth all of the heartache once your son is in your arms. We'd love to hear from you guys if you have time.

Blessings,
Tim & Hilary Marquis
(Tyler, Tobin, Amelia & Anara)
www.bringinghomeanara.blogspot.com